The Marking of the Country of Origin of Export Goods
The marking of the country of origin of export goods shall be handled in accordance with the provisions of Article 20, 21, 22, and 22-1 of the Regulations Governing Export of Commodities. The relevant provisions are as follows:
1. Any commodity for export shall be marked itself or have its internal and external package marked with the country of origin in a conspicuous and durable manner. In case such a marking cannot be made in accordance with these regulations owing to the special characteristics of the commodity or the special situation of packaging, the exporter shall apply to the Bureau of Foreign Trade (BOFT) for an approval for exemption.
2. Commodities for export and manufactured in the Republic of China shall be marked with "Made in Republic of China", "Made in Taiwan, Republic of China", "Made in Taiwan" or the equivalent in a foreign language.
3. Commodities for export mentioned in the preceding paragraph shall not be marked with any name of foreign countries or places or any other expressions that can mislead others to believe that the commodities are made in other countries, except imported parts/components, on which the original marks of the country of origin may be retained, and except commodities in either of the following situations may be marked with other countries as the country of origin:
Parts/components supplied to foreign buyers for assembly, on which marks of the country of origin are to indicate the place where the finished products are to be made, with approval from the BOFT.
Containers or packing materials supplied to foreign buyers for their use.
With respect to commodities themselves marked with other countries as origin under the preceding paragraph, their internal or external packages shall still be marked with this country as the country of origin.
4. For the re-export of imported commodities, their original marks of country of origin may be retained thereon, and those reexports without marks of country of origin when imported, may be re-exported likewise.
5. The imported commodities of the preceding article processed in Taiwan for re-export may be marked with “Processed in Taiwan” or the method of processing in Taiwan on the commodities themselves or on internal and external package. But if the commodities only undergo any of the following steps, they shall only be marked with the method of processing in Taiwan:
Preservation required for transportation or storage
Classifying, grading and packaging required for marketing or transporting of products
Assembling or mixing that does not result in any major difference in the characteristics of the products
The commodities marked “Processed in Taiwan” or the method of processing in Taiwan shall also be marked with the country of origin in a conspicuous and durable manner.
Export commodities violating the aforementioned regulations will be shut out of export. Cases are then transferred to the competent authority: BOFT for further investigation.
Contact point: Inspection Section or Clearance Section of Export Division